Topcon MAGNET Field Layout setup guide
In this tutorial you'll find the information on how to setup data collector running Topcon MAGNET Field Layout with Reach via Bluetooth. When working with MAGNET Field Layout, it is possible to use Reach in conjunction with Topcon Total Stations like LN-100.
Topcon LN-100 and 2 Reach RS for site layout (photo courtesy of Brent Wiebe).
Configuring Bluetooth connection¶
In this tutorial the Bluetooth connection with Windows device is shown. Exact steps of pairing the devices may vary on different platforms.
- In the ReachView app go to Bluetooth tab. Turn on Bluetooth and make Reach always discoverable
- On data collector, go to Bluetooth settings and select Add a Bluetooth Device. Select Reach from the list of discovered devices and confirm the connection
- When pairing is completed, you will see the data collector is listed in ReachView
After successful Bluetooth pairing, you should configure BT position output and correction input if needed.
- Go to Position output in ReachView and select BT tab. Select NMEA format and click Apply
- If you want to send the corrections from your controller via Bluetooth, go to Correction input and select BT tab. Set RTCM3 format and apply settings
Configuring MAGNET Field¶
Configuring the communication between MAGNET Field and Reach¶
- Launch MAGNET Field and go to Configure menu
- Choose Survey
- Click on Select from Library in GPS+ Configuration
- Add new configuration
- Type in the name for the configuration and choose Real Time DGPS/NMEA as Type with SBAS/Autonomous Corrections. Click Next
- Pick Generic NMEA from the manufacturers list. Proceed to the next step
- Tick External Receiver and select Bluetooth connection type
- Click Next to configure survey parameters or click on the green tick to finish the setup
- Pick the created configuration and click on the green tick to exit Configuration Library
- Return to the main menu and select Connect
- In connections, select GPS device type and make sure Reach is chosen. Click Connect
- Make a search for Bluetooth devices and choose Reach from the list. Click Select
- In Bluetooth PIN settings tick Require PIN and enter the default PIN-code for Reach "123456"
- Now go to Setup and check the Status. If the connection is successful, the position will be displayed with a number of satellites and PDOP
- In case of successful connection, you'll also see the receiver icon in the corner of MAGNET Field interface